- When and where does San Francisco Track and Field Club (SFTFC) practice? Team practice is held on Sundays at 10:00 am, rain or shine. Practice location varies. There is no cost to practice with us, other than your own transportation. Please watch out for our communication via Google Groups or Facebook regarding the practice location. Please also see Contact page for information about location, parking, and public transportation.
- Who comes to the practice? Our club is a diverse bunch. We have sprinters, jumpers, throwers and distance runners. You will surely find someone who share the same passion and goals with you. Not sure what you might like? We will be happy to help you find what you like.
- What types of drills/trainings do you do? That depends on your events, fitness levels and goals. We all start with dynamic stretching before we move onto event-specific training, such as strides, intervals, block start, etc. Please note that University’s weight-lifting facility is not available to us.
- How long is practice? Generally, Sunday practice is done by noon. But you are welcome to stay longer and work on your own. Many of us go to brunch together to refuel after the practice, which is a lot of fun.
- What should I bring? Just yourself dressed in layers and running shoes. The track at SF States is usually cool, so it is a good idea to dress warm. If you are a thrower, you will need to bring your own implements, please. Spikes are not necessary unless you want to practice in them. There is a bathroom and several water fountains around the track.
- What if it rains? We generally practice in the rain. If the weather poses a risk to us practicing at the track, we will communicate the cancellation via Google Group and Facebook.
- Is there cost to join SFTFC? No, there is no cost to join the club. This is made possible by fundraising events each year to afford us with various programs and keep us in a good financial position. The Club highly encourages every member to participate in the fundraising events.
- Do I have to be a member of USATF to join SFTFC? No, you do not have to have USATF membership to join SFTFC.
- What competitions do you participate in? The Club hosts its own annual track meet, Pride Track & Field Meet, so everyone is encouraged to compete there. In addition, the Club maintains a list of events that might be of interest to its members. In the past, members competed in events, such as Gay Games, Out Games, USATF Pacific Association Championships, and other various local and international events.
- Do I have to compete? You do not have to compete, but it is a great way to gauge your work and meet new people.
- How can I get the uniform? Traditionally, the uniform has been produced in the year of Gay Games. For Gay Games 9, we have created new sets of uniform and we will take another orders in the spring of 2014.
- How many women come to the practice? The Club has several female members and we’d love to have more female participation.
- Am I too old or too slow? No! Our club consists of members of all ages, all genders, all races and all abilities. Neither age nor ability is important to us. We encourage and support everyone to train at his or her level of comfort and ability, working towards their own personal goals. While you will practice with members of all ages, you will compete against others who are in your age group.
- Can I run both track and marathon? Absolutely! Track practice is a great way to increase both speed and endurance. You will learn about your own pace, heart rate, and lactate threshold, all of which apply to your non-track running, including marathon.
- How long have you guys been around? We have been around since 1982! Please see the About page for our history and mission of the Club.
- Do you have any social events where I talk to your members? Brunch after the team practice and the fundraising events are good places to meet our members. We do have other social events, so join our Google Group and/or Facebook page to stay tuned for upcoming social events.
- I am still not convinced if I should join. Talk to Thomas Setser! Thomas is President of the Club. He can give you more complete picture about the club and what goes on. You can get hold of him via email. Check the About page for his contact information or send us an email through Contact page.