It’s been a while since we had a large weekend team track practice like today. When we have a beautiful weekend, it is often difficult to gauge how many people will show up at the practice. A small group due to last-minute Sunday brunch invitations? Or, a large group due to people’s heightened motivation to come to the practice, either way influenced by the nice weather. Today, it was the latter and we have about 20 people on the track today. Nice showing, everyone!
Those who are planning to compete in Gay Games this year, they are purposefully starting their season late. But with competition starting in less than four months,we are expecting the weekend group to grow bigger. This definitely has a positive impact on the team. It is always good to see everyone at the track, which gives us more motivation to come to the practice.
Due to the large showing and also new folks, we had two training groups. One did a set of 600m – 400m – 200m – 400m – 600m at various paces, and the other did 6 x 150m. Everyone’s fitness level is different at this time, but we all looked great.
As many of you know, we have been looking for a full time track coach. After the practice today, some of us met with Mark Jellison at our regular brunch place, and we had a great conversation with him about his background, experience as an athlete and a coach, thinking behind effective training programs, etc. In the next couple of weeks, we will finalize details and hope to have him start at the end of this month. So, stay tuned for updates. Many thanks go to Chris Goodwin for coordinating this effort.
I realize there were no announcements at the practice today, but I meant to update everyone with the following:
- New fundraiser. Craig Wingate landed on this new opportunity to raise fund for the team. We will have a beer booth to distribute/sell to the race participants for San Francisco Rock’n’Roll Half Marathon on Sunday, April 6. We will need to staff the booth between 6:30am and noon. This is a great opportunity for those who will be applying for the Gay Games scholarships. Details will be provided soon, but please mark your calendar to help the team raise fund.
- Gay Games scholarships. The board agreed last Sunday on the amount, requirements and process of awarding Gay Games scholarship. The application will be provided very soon. So, stay tuned!
- We will be making the second uniform order for those who would like to order uniforms. More information will follow.
- Team polo shirt and duffle bag. We will also be placing an order on the team polo shirt (red shirt) and duffle bag. At Gay Games opening ceremony, we will be marching in this red polo shirt. Marcus Valera has samples to try and an order form. We are planning to place the order in April.
- Gay Games hotel accommodation. If you have not made hotel arrangements in either Cleveland or Akron, please talk with Phil Aguilar.
That’s all for this week. To new participants, don’t forget sign up for our Google Group, so you will receive up-to-date information. We also have a Facebook, Google+ and Twitter account, if you are on these social networks. See you next week!